|Classic Fried Green Tomatoes with our twist of Lump Crab on top, Photo: NK|
Fried Green Tomatoes With Crab
1 Large Egg, lightly beaten
1/2 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour, divided
1/2 Cup Cornmeal
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
3 medium Green Tomatoes, sliced 1/3 inch thick
8 Ounces Lump Crab
2 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Sour Cream
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
3 Chives, sliced (optional)
1 Tablespoon minced Italian Parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
|Frying in our Lodge Skillet. Photo: NK|
2. Combine the Egg and Buttermilk and set aside.
3. Combine a 1/4 Cup Flour, Cornmeal, 1 teaspoon Salt and 1/2 teaspoon Pepper in a shallow bowl or plate.
4. Place the remaining 1/4 Cup Flour in another plate or shallow bowl.
5. Dredge the Tomatoes in the Flour, and then dip into the Egg mixture, and then into the Cornmeal Mixture.
6. Pour Oil a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch deep in a cast iron skillet. Heat for two minutes over medium heat (perfect temp is 375 but we took our chances). Cook Tomatoes in the oil in batches, about two minutes per side until golden brown and crispy. Remove to drain on paper towels. Sprinkle Tomatoes with Salt while they are still hot.
7. To serve, top with a dollop of the Lump Crab Salad and Garnish with extra Parsley or Chives.